Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Newsflash! Sheep highly adept at memorizing faces!

Sometimes folks comment on how unsmart sheep are. Often folks compare them to goats, claiming that goats are somehow smarter. Not true! goats are different and have a much more outgoing attitude with humans (they also stink). Sheep are often shy or "skittish". They are just wary & protective. I am sort of a hybrid sheep/goat (geep) as I am friendly and outgoing but also reserved & I wait for my intuitions to spell safety.
My dairy farmer always says that sheep have a low will to live -unlike his 1400 pound cows! Not true! They have an amazing will to live as I have observed with Blink, our wethered north country cheviot, who has been stricken with dermotitis, external parasites & now some infection that is making him have flesh open/scab things all over him! He has an incredible will to survive & to beat this beast of an infection.

An interesting study was done earlier in this century (2000) showing that sheep are highly adept at memorizing faces. A sheep can memorize 50 faces for up to 2 years. One can imagine how this would help identify the flock, since to some eyes "all sheep look the same". Here is an article about this study:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/11/1107_TVsheep.html

Also here is a link to read more on "sheep smarts".
http://www.sheep101.info/stupidsheep.html

And by the way not all sheep look the same at all. Same with cows and all animals I spose. After milking for a year and a half I can attest to that. I am one of those assholes who says, "look at the black cow" while gazing upon a field of 50 black & white cows. Most folks would think I was nuts but some folks would say, "oh yea, she's a beaute!"

No comments: