sadly - this past week another one of our original birds died. Her name was Jwalker; she was named after her real parent, Jade Walker (my best pal) of Mill Creek Urban Farm (click on link at bottom of blog!). Jwalker was a RedStar sexlinked chicken from Charlestown CSA Farm in the Phoenixville area (support organics!)
A few weeks ago I noticed another chick missing. For several days I counted the birds when they walked out of the coop after laying eggs in the morn'. I kept getting 13 (that includes our two roosters). Then as soon as I could refill my 5 gallon water bucket & get down to the sheep I would find one of our younger RedStars, which led to some confusion as to wether this bird was living with the sheep over night. I think she was just racing me down there to munch up leftover grain & hay from the loving sheep.
Confused no more - we have ten hens and two roosters..way too many roosters however I am having difficulty taking away life these days (any helpers??!!). Having too many roosters actually affects egg production & hen happiness. In our case these two roosters get along amazingly well; they do not fight. In fact, one morning last week I looked out the window to see them both on my patio, together, alone with no other hens. Only at our place; our peaceable kingdom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment