So Sorry for not posting in nearly a month!
The weather has been crappy & I haven't felt that inspired or like I have that much to report about Lillian's Farm. I have been able to plant a few things here & there, clean animal areas. AND the big news is that we rebuilt our chicken yard!
The redesigned chicken yard is not 100% complete due to the fact that we ran out of materials... Our new chicken yard consists of three runs. Two will be rotated and used for our flock of layers. We will plant crops that will be yummy while the birds are in the other run, vice versa. Our third run is smaller & connects to the smaller chicken house. This is designed for two things: babies & eating birds. Since it is smaller we can put in creatures that will not be in there very long. And it won't be used year round so we can plant grasses there too. Right now we have 11 baby chickens and 4 ducks! (super soft & cute!) Some of these will stay in that run until we eat them and the others will join the crew of hardworking layers when they grow bigger.
This project was long anticipated & it feels so good to have met spring with our enthuisism to complete this as soon as we could bang posts into the ground. (well as soon as Chris & Sammy could bang posts into the ground).
I also have been working slow & hard (like a tortoise?) to clean out the sheep barn of their year of manure & straw bedding. The amazing thing about sheep poo balls is that they can be placed directly on your garden and are second highest in nitrogen to horses. Most manures - like cow & chicken one must dry or compost these first. In addition to having tons of chicken manure we are set to fertilize our garden. We even have enough to share!
Please contact me asap if you want any sheep or chicken manure for your garden projects. We are rich in the black gold and want to share it (plus we do not want to have a nitrogen imbalance so it would be nice to find land for some of this).
Last year I had another farmer graciously dump huge amounts of cow manure on our garden, which I am so gratefull for. However, does it not feel amazing to be sustainable in terms of manure as fertilizer! YES IT DOES! Can I get a M? Can I get an A? a N? a U? R!! E!!
MANURE!!
hurrah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment